lizzard is not currently reading any books.
I’m 32 years old, female, from the United States. I’ve been a DailyLit member since March 26, 2007.
- 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen by Leonard Maltin finished
- Highway 152 by Sam Shepard finished
- Classic Shorts: Eight Stories for Summer finished
- America's Greatest Hits finished
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button finished
- Paradise Lost finished
- Anna Karenina finished
- My Antonia finished
- Pride and Prejudice finished
- Sense and Sensibility suspended
- The Importance of Being Earnest suspended
- Crime and Punishment suspended
So I'm at chapter 25, when Vronsky races the horse. I'm just wondering if this race is a metaphor to what has happened between him and Anna.
To quote "She flew over it like a bird; but at the same instant Vronsky, to his horror, felt that he had failed to keep up with the mare's pace, that he had, he did not know how, made a fearful, unpardonable mistake, in recovering his seat in the saddle."
Yeah, I found that when it moved away from the farm life and he grew up, the novel's flow became disjointed. But I guess the book is based on a bunch of stories Cather wrote for a newspaper about growing up in the midwest. It becomes a little more cohesive at the end when the character goes back to visit.
I would love to see these books here, and also in French. Does anyone happen to know if other countries have similar websites? I like how the site runs but need to keep up with my French.
turtlegirl - i remember that happening to me while reading the book. where are you in the book? is it when the narrator has left for college?